You need to know how to make hand sanitizer at home especially when you are not able to go to the market to purchase it. Especially when it comes to preventing the spread of the pandemic known as COVID-19 or any infectious diseases. Though nothing beats hand washing if where you are there currently any soap and water available then hand sanitizer is the next best option.
How to Make Hand Sanitizer at Home
As stated by the centers for disease control and prevention (CDC) trusted source an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least sixty percent of alcohol is the best to use. Due to the rapid spread of this pandemic, most retailers are finding it hard to keep up with the demand for hand sanitizer so unless you have a stockpile of store-bought sanitizer then you may have a hard time finding any. So you may want to make your very own hand sanitizer at home.
What you Need in the Procedure Of Making Hand sanitizer at Home
As stated in the above passage washing hands with soap and water is the most effective way to stop the spread of germs. And hand sanitizer is only recommended when soap and water is not available. Measuring alcohol in hand sanitizer at home is more difficult which is why store-bought is recommended.
But if you are finding it hard to purchase one try these procedures provided to make your very own hand sanitizer. You will need the following in making a hand sanitizer.
- Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol.
- Aloe vera gel.
- Essential oil such as lavender oil or you can use lemon juice.
The Procedure Of Making Hand sanitizer at Home
To make an effective, germ-killing hand sanitizer is to add a proportion of 2:1 alcohol to aloe vera which keeps the alcohol content around sixty percent.
- 2 parts isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol ( 91 – 92 percent).
- 1 part aloe vera gel.
- A few drops of essential oil or lemon juice.
Mix isopropyl to aloe vera and add a few drops of essential oil or lemon juice to give it a pleasant scent.
Tips to Follow When Making Hand Sanitizer
These are the tips to follow when making hand sanitizer at home.
- Make sure to make the hand sanitizer in a clean space. Wipe down countertops with diluted each solution before making it.
- Make sure your hands are thoroughly washed before making the hand sanitizer.
- When you want to mix, use a clean spoon or whisk. And wash these items thoroughly after use.
- Make the alcohol you are using for making your hand sanitizer is not diluted.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly until they are well blended.
- Do not touch the mixture with your hands until they are ready to use.
If you are not sure you can make hand sanitizer do not bother because if made incorrectly it may be ineffective or may cause skin burn.
Safety Tips To Adhere To When Using Hand Sanitizer
It is important that we all do our part to help stop the spread of COVID-19 pandemic by washing our hands regularly with soap and water or rub our hands with hand sanitizer. Especially after going to the bathroom, blowing your nose, eating, and so on. Hand sanitizer is recommended when soap and water are available and here are safety tips when using hand sanitizer.
- Do not use hand sanitizer if your hands are visibly dry or they are greasy. Wash your hands with soap and water instead.
- The alcohol in hand sanitizers works very well when you rub the sanitizer all over your hands. Make sure to rub in between your fingers and also on the back of your hands.
- Do not wipe or even rinse of hand sanitizer before it is dry.
- Make sure to keep hand sanitizer out of the reach of children and pets.
- Also, make sure there is an adult to supervise when children are to use hand sanitizer because it is poisonous when swallowed.
Adding alcohol to nonalcoholic hand sanitizer is unlikely to be effective and also using disinfectant spray or wipes on the skin may cause skin or eye irritation. Do not use disinfectant sprays or wipes for the skin as they are meant to clean surfaces, not people or animals.